Thursday, December 4, 2008

We're here!

Almost exactly one year after meeting the board of directors for New Hope Haiti Mission, our family boarded an airplane and left for Haiti. I believe it was a year and one week later. It is so good to be here. For so long, I have come to Haiti without them, always longing that I could bring them with me to meet the people and to experience "Haiti." For those of you who have been, you know what that means, "to experience 'Haiti.'" For those who have never been, come visit sometime, the door is open and the coffee is hot (or the cokes cold, whichever you prefer).

Eight days
We've been here eight days.
Eight days, and our kids have already experienced a third-world country more than most American kids ever will.
Eight days and our kids already know more than a handful of words in Creole.
Eight days and we've had goat four times. Every time we eat it, I say, "Not ba-a-a-a-d."
Eight days and our kids have already helped pass out rice and beans in the village of Balan.
Eight days, and so many more to come.

I wonder what I will think after eighty days. I'll let you know. All I know is, it is so good to be in the place that God has been calling us to for so long. Like a magnet to iron, here we are.

No comments: